1. Home
Ms.sushama Jagirdar on 24 March 2012
Share on Facebook

Faulty meter by mahavitaran

I have a flat at flat no. 202, b, shivam heights, beltarodi, nagpur.The flat was handed over to me in dec-2010.Since I stay at hyderabad, it was lying vacant till aug-2011. I was paying the electricity bill online. The bill suddenly started to go up from the minimum amt. Of rs. 70 or so to 250 and then around 0/-. So I complained to the builder as well as the concerned officer and the charges were reversed and adjusted. The flat was occupied by a couple from aug end to jan-2012. The 4 months bills they got were quite high considering only 2 persons were living there, without having air conditioners. The bills are listed below. Now when I want to send a mail to the grievance cell, the site is not opening at all. My details are given below. Consumer no.= Month bill amt. Paid aug

Sujata Chemburkar

I am senior citizen age 70years living on pension at kalyan(w) room no 7 kadu building murbad road rambaug kalyan. I had submitted the affidavit in september 2011 that the room is not in use and therefore minimum bill should be charged. I shocked when feb2012 bill received was for rs 1600/- Then for march'2012 rs 3200/- And now for april 2012 is rs 5060/-. Since there is no use of electric the meter shows same reading every month which is already brought to their (mscb) notice. In spite of that they charge for 300 units per month to me which is totally unfair and not acceptable by me. Due to old age I can not run and fight with them. Kindly help me .

My details are given below

consumer no 020020249758

billing unit 4168 kalyan s/Dn